Sunday, June 3, 2012

I just got back from my first trip to Morocco. My boy Mehdi offered to take me there and show me his homeland. It was amazing. My girl Sarra and another friend from Paris, William also came along and the four of us had a wonderful adventure. We all felt so fortunate to get the local experience. We didn’t care about going to all the typical sites but rather I wanted to experience the real Morocco, family style.

We spent most of our time in Asilah, a northern city about 15 minutes south of Tanger. We stayed with Mehdi’s uncle and family. He’s a wonderful painter and sculptor and it was very inspiring to say the least. We were very warmly welcomed and feel a part of their wonderful family now. Their kids were fantastic and his wife made us the most amazing home cooked food. We spend the evening drinking wine, playing music, and hanging out his atelier, which is located next to their beautiful house.

There’s way too much to write about in detail but in short we experienced a very special Morocco. And although I only got a taste of it in the short four days we were there, I loved it and I want more. I plan to go back again as soon as possible.

Merci Mehdi.

No comments:

Post a Comment